Installing Code::Blocks nightly build on Mac OS X
This article describes how to install a nightly build of Code::Blocks.
- NOTE: The nightly builds for Mac OS X are not official (just yet)
The packages are currently done infrequently, and not really "nightly".
- Download the Developer Tools from Apple, if not installed with Mac OS X.
- For Mac OS X 10.4, you need to install Xcode Tools version 2.4 or later
- Download the latest Mac binary ZIP package of Code::Blocks, from BerliOS.
- For Mac OS X 10.4 up to 10.6 (PowerPC or Intel), download the "Universal"
- Now unpack the zip file package, and put CodeBlocks.app where you like it.
- The suggested location is /Developer/Applications or ~/Applications.
- wxWidgets (2.8.x, dylib) is included inside the application bundle.
If you prefer, you can install Code::Blocks / wxWidgets using MacPorts instead: Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Mac_OS_X#Install_with_MacPorts.
There are no binary packages for MacPorts just yet, so it compiles from the source.
First of all, see the issues that apply to all builds of Code::Blocks:
- http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0 (release notes)
- http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=5358 (reported bugs)
There are also some bugs that only apply to the Mac OS X version:
Open in console doesn't work with Terminal.app, only wxGTK/X11/xterm
Splash window is not centered on the display
- Occasional "can't flush file descriptor 12"
- Batch building (from the terminal) crashes
Not really bugs, but some things that might require extra setup:
- There is no direct support for adding frameworks, use -framework
- The default package does not have developer files for wxWidgets
- Not all wizards have Mac tweaks to the generated code/projects
- Not all of the included contributed plugins work on Mac just yet