Code::Blocks' features can be extend by using plugins, most of them listed on this page. There are generally three types of plugins:
- Core plugins - developed and maintained by the core C::B team.
- Contrib plugins - developed and maintained by the community and proven to be very valuable. So they are integrated into the C::B SVN.
- 3rd party plugins - developed and maintained by the community but not (yet?) in the C::B repository. Theses plugins often have their own repository or are being posted (including the source code) in the forums.
If you are looking for plugins:
- Look in the official release. Notice that the installer / package manager might require you to enable some of the plugins specifically. So READ carefully.
- Search the forums for announcements, especially the forums at .
- There might be information on the WiKi concerning other plugins on this page and here.
For Windows users, the default behavior of the current installer (10.05) does not install contrib plugins. You need to manually check the "contrib plugin" checkbox when asked for selected components to install. There is no way to install them manually afterwards.
If you are developing plugins: Surely you can work with plugin as you like, but here are some suggestions:
- Announce them in the plugin development board in the forums - including the (initial) source code at .
- Setup your own webpage (or use a file sharing platform) and post the link to the sources/binaries/svn access in the plugin development board in the forums at .
- Setup a repository, probably at BerliOS or SourceForge, post the link to the sources/binaries/svn access in the plugin development board in the forums at . Notice: This is very convenient as attachments in our forum might be deleted from time to time. So it is not safe to post source code in the forums.
The core plugins are installed by default and offer the basic functions of Code::Blocks. The core plugins are maintained / developed by the official development team.
- Code::Blocks AutoComplete plugin.
- Saves project files between intervals.
- Provides wizard for creating new classes.
- Provides code completion functionality and class browser.
- Provides support for various compilers in one interface.
- Provides support for various debuggers in one interface.
- Adds extra file extension handlers.
- Manages a list of all opened files (editors).
- Imports projects from other IDE's, e.g. MS Visual Studio and DevC++.
- Provides scripted wizard functionality.
- Formats source code files with specific style.
- Adds to-do items to source code.
- Creates manifest file which enables the version 6.0 of the Common Controls on Windows XP.
The user-contributed plugins are not installed by default and offer extended functionality for Code::Blocks. The contrib plugins are maintained / developed by third-party developers.
- Code alignment.
- Helps you keep track of your project version and status.
- Browse to previous source positions.
- Games in a integrated development environment? You bet.
- Integrates CCCC tool for measurement of source code metrics (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cccc/) into Code::Blocks.
- Provides graphical interface to GNU GProf profiler.
- Manages small pieces of code (i.e. snippets).
- Shows various statistics from source code files.
- Copies literal strings from the current editor to clipboard.
- Integrates Cscope (http://cscope.sourceforge.net/) into Code::Blocks.
- Installs and updates DevC++ DevPaks.
- This plugin provides doxygen integration for Code::Blocks.
- Enables dragging and scrolling with mouse.
- This plugin provides some additional tweaks for Code::Blocks editor.
- Sets environment variables within the focus of Code::Blocks.
- Integrates third-party help files to the interface.
- Opens files in a Code::Blocks integrated HexEditor.
- Searches and highlights a marked text incrementally within the open editor.
- Manages menu shortcuts.
- Queries the Koders webpage for keywords.
- Allows the creation of Nassi Shneiderman diagrams within Code::Blocks.
- Regular expressions testbed.
- Exports source code files to other formats such as HTML and PDF.
- A plugin to check the spelling of strings and comments.
- A simple graphical interface to the GNU symbol table displayer (nm).
- Multi-threaded 'Search in files' with preview window.
- Creation and management of custom tools.
- Valgrind analysis tools integration. (Valgrind does not run on Windows)
- RAD tool for creating wxWidgets dialogs.
3rd Party Plugins
3rd party plugins - developed and maintained by the community but not (yet?) in the C::B repository. The contrib plugins are maintained / developed by third-party developers.
- Display events that are registered with RegisterEventSink, in the Code::Blocks Debug log.
- This plugin provides symbol browser and code-completion for Fortran files.
- KeyMacs (or Keyboard Macros) plugin enables Recording, Playback, and editing of keystroke macros.
- This plugin highlights all occurrences of keywords on a list.
- This plugin is an rss feeds reader. Available at sourceforge/rssblocks
- Extends the Debugger plugin of Code::Blocks to work with the TRACE32 Debuggers. TRACE32 documentation "int_codeblock.pdf" and debuggert32.cbplugin are located on the enclosed SW CD on purchase of TRACE32
If you have questions -> ask in the forums at .